Medicine and Life Science in Leipzig
Leipzig's medical competence is based on a rich tradition. Entire medical disciplines and fields of interest were born in Leipzig or were introduced by Leipzig-based personalities. Examples are the founder of modern psychology Wilhelm Wundt, or the field of geriatric studies which is inseparably linked with Max Bürger.
Leipzig University's Medical Faculty which was founded in 1415 is Germany's second oldest medical teaching institution and one of Germany's largest research institutions of its kind.. Today, 29 clinics and hospitals and four institutews belong to the Leipzig University Clinic. The Medical Faculty comprises 15 institutes.
Leipzig enjoys international reputation for excellence in the fields of surgery, cardiology, transplantational medicine, sports medicine, gerontology, orthopaedics, and in the domains of stem cell research and regenerative medicine. Leipzig's competence in the latter two is underlined by the Translation Centre for Regenerative Medicine, and the Fraunhofer Institute for Cell Therapy and Immunology IZI which was founded in the BIO CITY LEIPZIG in 2005.
Further information can be found on the websites of the various institutions:
- Leipzig University, Faculty of Medicine
- Heart Center Leipzig (Herzzentrum Leipzig - available in German only)
- St. George Hospital (Städtisches Klinikum St. Georg - available in German only)
- Society for the Promotion of the Health Industry in the Leipzig Area (Verein zur Förderung der Gesundheitswirtschaft in der Region Leipzig)
- Fraunhofer Institute for Cell Therapy and Immunology IZI (Fraunhofer-Institut für Zelltherapie und Immunologie IZI)
- BIO CITY LEIPZIG